Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Return to Marin Pazon

This morning we (finally) got to return to Marin Pazon! I was a little apprehensive at first, but I just couldn't wait to get there. I went upstairs while we were waiting for the girls to come down. I walked into the room where Magda (one of the CTL special needs staff members) was doing therapy with some kids. The first child I recognized was Adriana, who isn't really a child, since she is about 4 years older than myself. I asked her if she recognized me, she looked at me for a second then she started rolling her head around and yelling. I couldn't tell if she was laughing or crying! She didn't remember my name, but she definitely recognized me. The first thing she asked was, "Where is Marilyn?!" She doesn't really get the concept of long distances because I told her Marilyn couldn't come so she told me to give her the phone and call her, which wouldn't work either. After that rather confusing conversation, we went out and walked in the hallway, just like old times. I brought her a banana and she was VERY excited. She told every one who walked by that I was her girl who had come from America to see her. We established many times that I had missed her. After a while I had to leave with the team to go to the park, but for a little while, it was just like old times. We took some of the more mobile girls (and one moderately autistic boy) out to the park. There were swings and slides and benches and one merry-go-round type thing. I spent most of my time pushing girls on the merry-go-round. They loved it. Even though there were afraid and would drag their feet a lot, the motions were a lot of fun for them. Even when I got tired and stopped, they kept pushing themselves around slowly. I soon returned to help push again, this time I rode with them and we all pushed. I will admit without shame that I enjoyed myself quite a bit as well! After playing for quite a while, we brought them all ice cream. It was hilarious to listen to some of the conversations while they were eating. One girl had never had ice cream before, and was a little hesitant at first, but that didn't last long. One girl ate the ice cream completely with her hands. The little boy, Adi, wanted it to last as long as possible. He wouldn't believe as when we told him to eat faster until a piece of his ice cream fell off onto the ground. It was a great day that the girls really enjoyed.
One thing about the day that wasn't so fun was that one of the girls, Nadia, had an epileptic seizure on the way to the park. A few team members managed to get her back to the center with the help of some passersby. Not only were the center doctors not waiting there for her, but it took them 10 minutes for one of them to come down stairs where they didn't do anything the the RNs with CTL didn't do. In fact, she stopped in the middle of her assessment to play with a nearby baby. The girl eventually woke up on her own, but not until the CTL nurses were frustrated beyond belief. It's just a little taste of what the staff has to deal with all the time. It is something that they need continuous prayer for.
Later than afternoon, after lunch, some of the team stayed to work with the girls on the computers, but myself and Susan and some of the staff went with some girls from number 7 to the park. We played volleyball and badminton and connect 4. It was a good day for girls to get away from their rather depressing situation and just have to fun and stay out of trouble.
I didn't get to see David today, but he is out of the hospital and was getting therapy when we went to the park! Things at Marin Pazon aren't perfect, as evidenced by the two girls that died earlier this year, but some good things are happening there, its not all evil, just like nothing is only black or white. I saw how a lot of the kids behavior has improved and there are a lot of caring people working to keep them alive and make their lives better.

1 comment:

Marilyn Stansfield said...

LAURA! How awesome! She used to ask about you last year and want to talk to you on the phone, too! :) Thank you so much! It made my day and broke my heart at the same time that she asked for me! I LOVE YOU!!! and I hope I can chat with you in person before I leave to Chicago!